BOK chief defends rate freeze aimed at curbing household debt

Korea’s central bank chief on Tuesday defended the bank’s latest rate freeze decision, saying that the level of household debt is inching toward a point that can cause an economic slowdown and a potential financial crisis.

Last week, the Bank of Korea (BOK) held its key rate steady at 3.5 percent for the 13th straight session due to soaring home prices but opened the door for a policy pivot this year.

“We judged that a rate cut can further stoke home prices and increase the volatility in the currency market,” BOK Gov. Rhee Chang-yong said at a forum.

There have been various opinions over the central bank’s rate freeze decision, but at the moment, policymakers should review why the central bank should hesitate in slashing the key rate in the face of high household debt and soaring home prices, Rhee said.

The central bank’s rate freeze decision is intended to highlight the dangers of such a vicious cycle of excessive demand in some areas, namely the posh Gangnam district, according to the central bank chief.

“We are at a point where we could face an economic slowdown if household debt further increases and must brace for a potential financial crisis,” he said.

Last week, the central bank said inflation has continued its downward trend and the recovery in domestic demand has been modest.

But it still needs to further monitor how recent measures over the housing market are affecting home prices in Seoul and its surrounding areas and household debt.

The rate freeze came as household debt runs high in the face of a series of lending rate hikes and with tighter lending rules and inflationary pressure in Asia’s fourth-largest economy showing signs of easing.

Rhee stressed that rising household debts and home prices should be dealt with immediately to ensure financial stability.

“Household debt should be considered for financial stability, and most board members see the need to curb rising real estate prices,” Rhee said in a press conference last week. (Yonhap)

Related Posts

Some 3,000 evacuate after smoke detected at Incheon warehouse used by Coupang

Some 3,000 workers and others were evacuated from a large warehouse in Incheon on Wednesday after smoke was detected in a basement mechanical room, with no injuries reported. According to…

SK hynix unleashes W40tr buyback amid AI windfall

Chipmaker to cancel all repurchased shares, lift payouts above 50% of free cash flow SK hynix said Wednesday it will buy back and cancel 40 trillion won ($28 billion) of…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Some 3,000 evacuate after smoke detected at Incheon warehouse used by Coupang

Some 3,000 evacuate after smoke detected at Incheon warehouse used by Coupang

PGA Tour veteran Kim Si-woo looking to snap winless drought as playoffs wind down

PGA Tour veteran Kim Si-woo looking to snap winless drought as playoffs wind down

Wang Yi vows 'constructive role' on Korean Peninsula, says US has to change 'hostile policy'

Wang Yi vows 'constructive role' on Korean Peninsula, says US has to change 'hostile policy'

Watch: Stray Kids Takes 3rd Win For “This & That” On “Show Champion”; Performances By WayV, KiiiKiii, And More

Watch: Stray Kids Takes 3rd Win For “This & That” On “Show Champion”; Performances By WayV, KiiiKiii, And More

Kim Min Ha, Joo Jong Hyuk, And More’s “The Table: Day And Night” Selected As Opening Film Of 2026 Busan International Film Festival

Kim Min Ha, Joo Jong Hyuk, And More’s “The Table: Day And Night” Selected As Opening Film Of 2026 Busan International Film Festival

JYP's new multinational girl group OurBirthday debuts with its own brand of music

JYP's new multinational girl group OurBirthday debuts with its own brand of music