Assault incidents at Yonsei raise questions about student protection

An ongoing search for a man who sexually assaulted a Yonsei University student near the school’s Sinchon campus in Seoul on Wednesday has raised questions about the university’s student protection measures.

Investigators are also looking into whether the man was involved in two similar incidents that have been reported in the same area since June.

Seoul Seodaemun Police Station said Thursday it is tracking an unidentified man on suspicion of sexual assault following an incident near the university’s dormitories at around 10:10 p.m. Wednesday. The man was reportedly completely naked and his face was covered by a black mask.

The victim, a Yonsei student in her 20s, was walking toward the dormitories when the man approached her from behind and grabbed her by the chest before fleeing into a wooded area nearby, according to local reports.

An anonymous post believed to have been written by the victim appeared on an online community for Yonsei students following the incident, describing what happened and warning others not to walk in the area alone.

“I used to live in that dormitory and always thought the area was very safe, so I was shocked when I saw the post,” another Yonsei University student told The Korea Herald.

A post uploaded Thursday to Yonsei University's student forum on Everytime, an online community platform for university students, describes the incident and warns others to be careful. (Screenshot from Everytime)

The incident follows two earlier reports involving a man in the area matching the same description.

On June 12, police received a report that a naked man wearing a black mask had sexually assaulted a woman at the same location.

On July 21, another report was filed after a passerby spotted a similarly dressed man hiding in the bushes. The man reportedly emerged after seeing a woman but fled toward the mountain after she alerted an acquaintance.

Investigators are reviewing surveillance camera footage, victim statements and conducting DNA analysis in an effort to identify the suspect. Tracking him has reportedly been difficult due to limited surveillance camera coverage around the wooded area.

The three incidents have also raised questions over the university’s response.

Yonsei University received a report about a suspicious man in late July and considered taking protective measures but did not inform students about the incident, according to local media.

Following Wednesday’s incident, a forest path behind the university dormitories was blocked off with tape, with a notice saying the route had been closed following the intrusion of an unidentified person.

  • Related Posts

    Seoul sees US-N. Korea dialogue as most realistic way to halt Pyongyang’s nuclear advance

    South Korea’s Unification Ministry on Friday said restarting US-North Korea dialogue and first halting Pyongyang’s expanding nuclear capabilities is the most realistic way forward, pushing back against concerns that US…

    Seoul extends approval requirement for foreign homebuyers

    South Korea will extend by one year a rule requiring foreign nationals to obtain government approval before buying homes in Seoul and much of the surrounding capital region, as authorities…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Choi Si-won steps in to stop a tourist from smoking at Gyeongbokgung

    Choi Si-won steps in to stop a tourist from smoking at Gyeongbokgung

    Two brothers found dead in Uijeongbu

    Two brothers found dead in Uijeongbu

    Stocks end higher on chip gains amid hopes for shareholder return plans

    Stocks end higher on chip gains amid hopes for shareholder return plans

    Lee names new trade minister week after predecessor’s dismissal

    Lee names new trade minister week after predecessor’s dismissal

    UK investors lead Korean stock sell-off as US funds keep buying

    UK investors lead Korean stock sell-off as US funds keep buying

    Why Supreme Court picks have become Lee’s latest political headache

    Why Supreme Court picks have become Lee’s latest political headache